Test yourself - True or False?
1. A rich person is also a powerful person.
2. I admire those who have more money than me.
3. I enjoy buying expensive products.
4. I have to admit I like boasting about how much money I earn.
5. I like it when people notice I own or wear something pricey.
6. I like using money to persuade others to do what I want.
7. I love it when I am complimented on my expensive possessions.
8. I often tell people how much I paid for an expensive item, even if they don’t ask.
9. I want to know who makes more money than I do.
10. Money is the symbol of success.
11. When I find out I make more money that someone I used to consider richer than me, I am happy.
12. When shopping, I wonder what others will think of the quality of my purchases.
Give yourself a point for each “True” response and check your score below.
10-12 points: It is your belief that money equals power and prestige, and both of those qualities mean a lot to you. Your feelings of importance and success depend on external recognition. You may not like being around those you believe are worth less than you.
6-9 points: Money is important to you, but so are other things, such as personal achievement and relationships. Your money attitude is relatively balanced.
0-5 points: You don’t use money to enhance your image, no matter how much money you have. To you, money doesn’t equal power and prestige.